- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup mushroom slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 2 tablespoon minced Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- 1/2 cup water
- If desired, pound chicken between two pieces of wax paper or plastic (use anything from an old wine bottle to a small heavy pot for this or a meat hammer). Season chicken with ginger and pepper.
2. Heat oil in a fry pan or BBQ and add chicken. Pan fry chicken for 5 minutes on each side until golden, turning once until done. Remove, and cover with foil to keep warm.
3. Add onion and mushrooms to the pan (add a little more oil if needed), cook until onion is translucent, and mushrooms are soft (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add wine to pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. At this point, judge the amount of liquid for sauce for chicken. If you need more, add a bit of water. Taste, and adjust seasonings.
6. Pour vegetables and sauce over chicken, and sprinkle with parsley
- Serve with steamed vegetables or a salad.
CHICHEN SOUVLAKI WITH TZATZIKI SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 250 gms. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- Olive oil cooking spray
Tzatziki Sauce: (Greek yoghurt, garlic, cucumber and lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To prepare souvlaki, combine the first 5 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to combine. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Thread the chicken and zucchini, alternately onto each of 4 (8-inch) skewers.
- Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add skewers; cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.
- To prepare tzatziki sauce, combine cucumber, yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, and 1 garlic clove, stirring well. Serve the tzatziki sauce with souvlaki.
- Calories 219
- Caloriesfromfat 19%
- Fat 4.7g
- Satfat 1.3g
- Monofat 2.3g
- Polyfat 0.6g
- Protein 30.9g
- Carbohydrate 12.3g
- Fiber 2.4g
- Cholesterol 69mg
- Iron 1.4mg
- Sodium 705mg
- Calcium 161mg
CHICKEN MALAI BOTI
- Boneless Omega 3 chicken 1 kg (thigh pieces works well)
- Olive Oil as required
- Yogurt ¼ cup
- Lemons 2
- Ginger, garlic paste 2 tea spoons
- Green chili paste 2 tea spoons
- Cumin powder 1 tea spoon
- Black pepper powder 1½ tea spoons
- masala powder 1 tea spoons try one from http://www.findtex.com.au/diabetic-foods/sugar-free-masala/
- Ginger to taste
- Onion rings and lemon wedges for garnishing
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Mix together marination and coat the chicken with it. Leave to marinade for 2-4 hours (overnight in the fridge is best).
- Put chicken pieces on skewers then barbeque over charcoal. Apply oil when half done and turn the side.
- For Baking: Preheat oven for 10 minutes.
- Arrange chicken on baking tray and bake at 180 Degree C for 10-12 minutes from one side then apply oil and turn the side and bake another 10-12 minutes from the other side till tender.
- Decorate with onion and lemon slices and serve with a salad.
Adapted from http://www.therecipespk.com/chicken-malai-boti/
GRILLED CHICKEN SWITH SALAD
- For the chicken:
- 2 – small boneless, skinless omega 3 chicken breasts
- Â½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Â½ tsp garlic powder
- Â½ tsp paprika
- ginger & pepper to taste
- For the salad:
- 4 cups romaine lettuce or other green
- 1 medium summer squash (~1 cup), diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- For the dressing;
- Â½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Â½ tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- Â¼ cup ground spicy mustard
- Spray a grill pan with olive oil cooking spray. Bring to a medium heat.
- Place the chicken breasts on a plate, drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over each breast then the seasonings.
- Place in the grill pan and cook 7 minutes then flip and cook another 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove from the grill pan and place on a clean plate.
- While the chicken rests, combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Set in the refrigerator to marinade.
- Prepare the salads by placing the ingredients in two bowls.
- Slice the chicken breasts widthwise on an angle and place on top of the salad.
- Drizzle each salad with Â½ the dressing.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 357 Fat: 16g Saturated fat: 3.3g Unsaturated fat: 12.7g Carbohydrates: 9g Sugar: 4.9g Sodium: 1011mg Fiber: 3.3g Protein: 60.3g Cholesterol: 147.6mg
We will again use the crock pot to make this heart healthy chicken breast.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (cut into cubes) 4
- Carrot (sliced) 1
- Green Bell Pepper (chopped) 1
- Red Bell Pepper (chopped) 1
- Onion (quartered) 1
- Pineapple Chunks (canned) 8 oz
- Cilantro Leaves (minced) 10
- Ginger Root (minced) 2 tablespoons
- Chicken Bouillon 1 teaspoon (be aware that there may be salt here )
- Quick Cooking Tapioca 2 tablespoons
- Garlic (minced) 1 clove
- Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon (be aware that there may be salt here )
- Dark Brown Sugar 1/3 cup (This should be left out for diabetics)
- Red Wine Vinegar 1/3 cup
- Spread the vegetables at the bottom of the crock pot and sprinkle tapioca over them.
- Now place the chicken pieces over the vegetables.
- Combine the other ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and close the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours and serve with rice. (Basmati rice)
For more information, read
You can try all these boneless skinless chicken breast recipes and see which suits your taste buds the best. There are immense variations of each of these recipes as well. I have modified a number of these recipes to suit the taste buds of my family members, and you can do the same as well.
LEMON HERB MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN SALAD Ingredients Marinade/dressing 2 tbsp olive oil juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup fresh squeezed) 2 tbsp water 2 tbsp red wine vinegar 2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley 2 tsp dried basil (I used fresh) 1 tsp dried oregano 1 tsp salt cracked pepper to taste 1 lb chicken thighs. I used chicken breast less fatty, Salad 4 cups romaine lettuce washed, dried and chopped 1 large cucumber diced 2 roma tomatoes diced 1 red onion diced 1 avocado sliced 1/3 cup black olives. I added 1/3 cup green. I love olives Instructions Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients/dressing in a large bowl. I also blended it up a bit in my Nutribullet. Left it with a little texture. Add 1/2 the marinade to the chicken. Mix to incorporate. cover and let sit for 15 to 30 mins Once chicken is ready heat about 1 tbsp. oil in grill pan. Sear chicken on both sides. Cook for about 6 mins on each side on med/ low heat. (thin breasts cooking time) When cooked through remove from heat and let rest for about 5 mins Place lettuce on a platter, arrange rest of vegetables, slice chicken up arrange on platter. Drizzle rest of dressing all over. While the recipe did not call for Feta cheese, we did add some to it. Serves four. Delicious. I could drink the marinade/ dressing by itself. Nutritional values Calories 471 (based on using thighs) Fat 36.3g ( healthy fats) Net Carbs 10.4 g, Sugar 4.4 g,Sodium 770 mg 31 % daily values. Protein 23.7
Thanks to Gail Mendonca
STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS INGREDIENTS
- 1skinless chicken breast
- 1tsp Low fat cottage cheese 28 g
- 1Artichoke Hearts
- 1tsp sundried tomatoes chopped
- 5large Basil leaves
- 1clove garlic
- 1/4tsp curry powder
- 1/4tsp paprika
- 1pinch pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 365 F (185 C)
- Cut the chicken breast almost halfway through with a sharp knife
- Chop up the mozzarella, artichoke, basil, tomato and garlic. Mix to combine and stuff it into the cut chicken breast
- Use a few toothpicks to close the chicken breast around the stuffing
- Place the chicken breast on a baking sheet and season it with pepper, curry powder, and paprika.
- Bake for 21 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken breast)
- Remove tooth picks before serving.
ONE PAN CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ Kg Omega 3 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp. low added salt tomato paste
- 2 cup green vegetables
- ½ Kg asparagus, ends trimmed, cut in half, if large
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, add sliced chicken thighs, season chicken generously with ginger, add the tomato paste- and cook everything on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, flipping a couple of times, until the chicken is completely cooked through. Remove the chicken and sun-dried from the skillet, leaving oil in.
- Add asparagus (ends trimmed), seasoned generously with ginger, remaining half of green vegetables, and cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the asparagus cooked through. Remove asparagus to serving plate.
- Add chicken back to the skillet, add pesto, stir to coat on low-medium heat until chicken is reheated, 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add and mix with the basil pesto and the chicken. Add chicken to the serving plate with asparagus.
Adapted from http://juliasalbum.com/2016/06/one-pan-pesto-chicken-and-veggies/?_utm_source=1-2-2 SPICED CHICKEN AND CHICKPEA SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 chicken breast fillets skin removed
- 1 cup mint leaves
- ⅓ cup (80ml) Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tsp. tahini
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 275g chickpeas (soaked overnight) *
INSTRUCTIONS: The night before:
- The night before, cover chickpeas in water (make the water sit at least 3cm over the top of the chickpeas) and place in the fridge.
On the day
- Cook chickpeas per packet instructions.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Combine the full breasts of chicken with the oil, paprika, cumin and turmeric in a large bowl.
- Line baking tray/s with baking paper. Place the carrots, chicken and chickpeas on the tray/s. Drizzle with remaining oil from the chicken seasoning. Roast for 25 mins or until cooked through and tender. Thinly slice the chicken breast.
- Meanwhile, reserve half the mint. Finely chop the remaining mint. Place in a bowl with the yoghurt, tahini and lemon juice and stir to combine. Season with ginger and pepper.
- Combine the chicken, carrots, chickpeas, any other ingredients** and reserved mint in a large bowl. Divide among serving plates. Drizzle with the yoghurt mixture.
Notes: * The weight of the chickpeas was measured after I had soaked them overnight. I soaked more than I needed as I also made falafels and hummus. ** I used extra ingredients I had in the fridge and encourage you to do the same no waste . Adapted from http://www.bbqbaker.com/blog/spiced-chicken-and-chickpea-salad Healthy Pumpkin Chili with Chicken Ingredients
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, and chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 kg ground organic, pasture-raised chicken or chicken meat roughly chopped.
- 10-12 whole tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2cups fresh pumpkin puree (see below for recipe)
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 1/2 chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2cups cooked kidney beans
- 1 1/2cups cooked white kidney beans
- Warm oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic; sauté until tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add chicken to pot and cook, stirring, until no pink remains, about 8 minutes. Return vegetables to pot.
- Add tomatoes, pumpkin, broth, chili powder, cumin, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in all beans. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chili thickens slightly, about 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Crock Pot Chicken White Bean Pumpkin Chili Ingredients: Olive oil cooking spray 1Kg skinless chicken breast chopped into chunks. 1/2 tsp. olive oil 1 small onion, chopped 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 tsp. chili powder, to taste 2 bay leaves 2 tsp. cumin 1 tsp. oregano 2 cups of beans of choice. 1 cup pumpkin cut into chunks 1 cup chopped green chile (To taste) 2 cups water chopped chives for topping ginger and pepper to taste Directions: Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and lightly spray with oil. Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes. Add to crock pot. Add oil to the saute pan, then onions, garlic, sauté about 3 – 4 minutes; Add cumin and sauté another minute. Add to crock pot. Add beans, pumpkin puree, green chilis, broth, chili powder, oregano, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning to taste before serving. Enjoy! Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1 cup Calories: 272.5 Fat: 2.5 g • Protein: 32 g Carb: 31 g Fibre: 12 g Sugar: 2.4 Sodium: 499 (without salt) Adapted from :- http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html
SARAH-ANN’S CHICKEN, VEG BASMATI RICE AND QUINOA Ingredients: 2 chicken tender lions skin removed per person 50 g Basmati rice 50 g Quinoa Mixed fresh vegetables Sarah-Ann used broccoli, cauli. Silver beat, mushrooms, red onion, green and red capsicums. Kale, red cabbage, beans and courgettes. Water as below. Directions: Soak rice and Quinoa in ¾ cup of water. (For at least 20 minutes, better overnight.) In a Steamer place the chicken and steam for 20 – 30 minutes Bring the rice and Quinoa to the simmer. Add the vegetables to the steamer. NB1 After 5 minutes stir the rice and Quinoa with a metal fork. Cook for a further 5 minutes and serve. NB1 Sarah-Ann cooks for a large family she “stir fries” the vegetables in a wok with water for a couple of minutes; a good technique.
QUINOA AND CHICKEN MEATLOAF
Serves: 4 Ingredients 500 grams omega 3 or free range chicken meat roughly chopped. 1 cup quinoa ½ cup chopped mushrooms – chopped 2 Garlic cloves – minced 1 Onion – finely chopped Grated Zucchini Grated Carrot ¾ cup basmati Rice crumbs or your favourite flour (Gluten free or wholemeal etc.) 2 tablespoon Tamari 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Cook Quinoa according to instructions or cook in your rice cooker. Once cooked set aside to cool.
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and give a good mix together.
- Pour into loaf tin, flatten the top out with a fork
- Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until cooked.
MY VERSION OF GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN
|By Bhakti Satalkar Published: 3/6/2010|