QUICK EGGPLANT PARMY
1 large eggplant
1 tbsp. olive oil + ½ tbsp.
1 cup (240ml) no added salt tomato passata
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, sliced
2-3 handfuls spinach
¾ cup (75g) shredded mozzarella cheese
1-2 tsp. oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise, about 1 cm thick. Rub 1 tbsp. olive oil on each side of the eggplant slices and place it on a baking tray lined with baking paper — season with ginger and pepper.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a fry pan, heat the remaining ½ tbsp. olive oil. Add in the garlic and onion, and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, until soft — season with ginger and pepper.
- Next, add in the tomato passata and spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven, and top each with the tomato sauce mixture.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and oregano. Place in the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
EGGPLANT LASAGNA ROLLS
- 3 large eggplants
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed or fresh if possible
- 2½ cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Position racks in the middle and upper third of oven; preheat to 425°F/220°C. Coat 2 rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Slice each eggplant lengthwise into ½ cm thick strips. Discard any small or misshapen pieces. You should have about 24 strips. Sprinkle the strips with ¼ teaspoon salt and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry and brush both sides with olive oil. Place on the prepared pans, overlapping the slices a little if necessary. Roast until soft and beginning to brown, swapping the pans from top to bottom midway, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, ¼ cup basil and 2 teaspoons garlic in a large bowl. Spread ½ cup of the mixture in a oven-safe baking pan. Squeeze spinach to remove any excess liquid. Combine the spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic in a medium bowl.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, spread a generous tablespoon of the ricotta mixture on each slice. Starting from the narrowest end, roll up the slices and place in the baking pan seam-side down. Top with the remaining tomato mixture.
- Bake the rolls on the middle rack until the tomato mixture is hot and bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and preheat the grill to high.
- Top the rolls with mozzarella. Broil until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup basil and serve.
Nutrition Information or original
Serving size: 4 rolls
Per serving: 373 calories; 21 g fat(9 g sat); 9 g fibre; 29 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 123 mcg folate; 47 mg cholesterol; 12 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 4,052 IU vitamin A; 15 mg vitamin C; 534 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 656 mg sodium; 1,079 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (81% daily value), Calcium (53% dv), Folate (31% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 4½ vegetable, 2½ medium-fat protein, 1½ fat
Adapted from www.eatingwell.com/recipe/261760/eggplant-lasagna-rolls/?utm_campaign=eatingwell_eatingwell&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=link_recipes&utm_term=6D2BDBBC-7EF1-11E9-A22A-6966EBB2EA9A&fbclid=IwAR2HgGhNZPBUcBcxN5Fe0we3Y1gx8abx3x0VNBkNeV9x594c5mGHbTLSJEA
GARLICKY STIR-FRIED EGGPLANT
- 2 lb./1 Kg Chinese or Japanese eggplant (about 6 medium)
- 1 Tbs. corn starch
- 2 Tbs. olive oil; more as needed]
- 1 Tbs. Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 10 large cloves garlic, minced (about 3 Tbs.)
- 2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce; more to taste
- Sliced scallion (green part only, for garnish)
- Slice the eggplant on the diagonal 3/4 to 1 inch/ 2.5 cm thick, larger pieces cut in half lengthwise.
- Put the eggplant in a colander in the sink or over a bowl, toss with 1 Tbs. salt, and set aside to drain for about 45 minutes. Rinse the eggplant thoroughly, pat dry, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the corn starch over the eggplant and toss to coat evenly. Heat the oil in a large stoneware fry pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add just enough eggplant to create a single layer so that no slices overlap. Cook, flipping once, until the eggplant is golden and a bit charred in places, 2-1/2 to 3 minutes total. Transfer the eggplant to a paper-towel-lined rimmed baking tray. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Wipe the pan clean, then add the sesame oil over low heat. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Return the eggplant to the pan. Add the soy sauce, and toss to combine, about 1 minute.
- Serve topped with the scallion, and season to taste with soy sauce.
Calories (kcal): 110
Fat Calories (kcal): 60
Fat (g): 7
Saturated Fat (g): 1
Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2.5
Monounsaturated Fat (g): 3
Sodium (mg): 250
Carbohydrates (g): 12
Fibre (g): 4
Sugar (g): 5
Protein (g): 2
Adapted from https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/garlicky-stir-fried-eggplant?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR0eK-fqx1qKAXJY0F2gMvNudboH5Giiip7GsEeWplGeL8Js6e0ToJxZvd4
MIDDLE EASTERN EGGPLANT
2 large eggplant, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 small onion, small dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14 oz can whole plum tomatoes
2 Tbps tomato paste
1 ½ T Masala find recipe here http://www.findtex.com.au/diabetic-foods/sugar-free-masala/?fbclid=IwAR2gn-Yw1aFFyxmZMVAL2FL0c6mduTngzARSxws8vEfgBILIuM0Rboyd9xw
1 T curry powder find recipe here http://www.findtex.com.au/diabetic-foods/sugar-free-curry-powder/?fbclid=IwAR2oP9M50pxs795QxAc-CYv3eSi7tflZoOZwuf6PjwwIsPkodzUAEG5-YY0
¼ t ground clove
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ cup chicken broth or water
Ginger and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to coat the bottom of a large, hot stoneware fry pan.
- Add onion and eggplant, ginger and pepper generously.
- Add garlic and toss frequently until the eggplant has a little colour to it.
- Next add the tomato paste, allowing to heat and toast just a bit from the heat of the pan.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar and heat until the liquid reduces by half.
- Stir in the spices and raisins.
- Add tomatoes, crushing by hand as adding, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add chicken broth/water and allow the dish to simmer until thickened to almost a stew.
MEDITERRANEAN ROASTED EGGPLANT
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 2cm rounds
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp za’atar spice, more to your liking find recipe here http://www.findtex.com.au/uncategorised/spice-mix-sugar-salt-and-fat-free/?fbclid=IwAR0ZlRTPDrxthIQvMBWrWJ39I_Lnv2B4jRQWKnGuQAC2oAZc5OkO_cFUU5M
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils (seeds)
- Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1 tps Tahini Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F/ 200 degree C
- Pat the eggplant slices dry and arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush the top of the eggplant slices with olive oil. Bake in the heated-oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggplant turns a nice golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the tahini sauce according to the recipe below.
- When the eggplant is ready, remove from the oven. There should not be too much excess oil, but if you like, you can carefully place the eggplant slices on a try lined with paper towel to drain.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a serving tray. Sprinkle with za’atar. Spoon some of the tahini sauce on top and place the rest of it in a small bowl to serve. Finally, top the eggplant slices with the fresh parsley, pomegranate arils, and toasted pine nuts.
To make Tahini Dressing, you’ll need:
- 025 c Tahini (sesame seed paste) 050 c Water or more
- 100 tb Lemon juice; fresh
- 100 cl Garlic; crushed
- Mix all ingredients
- The mixture should be the consistancy of a creamy salad dressing
- Add more water if necessary
- Use as a sauce for falafel sandwich.
- 2 large, firm eggplant, such as Italian
- 2 to 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ginger and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- Garnishes: Toasted pine nuts or sesame seeds and pomegranate arils; drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- For Serving: Radishes, celery, apples, crostini
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or aluminium foil). Place eggplants on the parchment-lined sheets and roast for about 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
- Slice eggplants lengthwise and, using a spoon, scoop out the flesh and place in a food processor (or blender). Add tahini, walnuts (or pine nuts), lemon juice, ginger, pepper, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the pomegranate molasses, if using, and half of the cilantro leaves. Pulse until blended.
- Mound dip onto a serving dish and garnish with pine nuts, the remaining cilantro leaves, and pomegranate arils. Add a drizzle of olive oil or more pomegranate molasses, if desired. If making ahead, chill the eggplant mixture and garnish just before serving. Serve with radishes, celery or apples.
LOW-CARB EGGPLANT GRATIN
- 2 eggplants
- 2yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 2 tbs. feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbs. shredded cheese
- ginger and pepper
- Slice the eggplants into 1cm slices.
- Apply olive oil and ginger with a brush on both sides of the eggplant slices and place on parchment paper on a baking tray. Bake in oven at 400°F (200°C) until golden.
- In the meantime, slice the onion thinly, with a food processor or mandolin.
- Sauté the onion in a medium frying pan over medium heat until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with ginger and pepper.
- Place a layer of baked eggplant slices a baking pan, then half of the onions, mint, parsley and 2/3 of the feta cheese.
- Add a final layer of eggplant and the rest of the onion.
- Finish with additional feta cheese and grated cheese on top.
- Place the baking dish back into the oven at 450°F (220°C) for 30 minutes until the gratin is golden colour and the cream is bubbly.
Garnish with parsley for a festive presentation!
FAUX REFRIED BEANS USING EGGPLANT
2 cups diced eggplant
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
2 tbsp no added salt tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp oregano
pinch red pepper flakes
Ginger and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup water
1. Lightly oil a pan with olive oil spray.
2. Sauté eggplant, onion, and garlic until soft and brown.
3. Add in remaining ingredients and stir well.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is extremely soft, and sauce has thickened.
Using a potato masher or immersion blender, mash/puree eggplant mixture until it resembles refried beans in texture. (this is optional – I minced my eggplant in ½ cm pieces and didn’t have to mash it at all 🙂
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 42.3
- Total Fat: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 132.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- 2 eggplants
- 2green bell peppers
- 1red chili pepper
- ½ cupmayonnaise
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 2garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, the juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Preheat the oven to 480ºF (250ºC).
- Cut the eggplants and bell peppers in half length-wise and deseed the bell peppers.
- Place the vegetables peel-side up in an ovenproof dish.
- Set the dish in the middle of the oven, and bake for half an hour, turning the eggplants after twenty minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let the vegetables cool down a little.
- Cut the chili in half and deseed it. Use rubber gloves to complete this task, and do not touch your face!
- For a spicier eggplant salad, leave the seeds in the chili.
- Chop the chili very finely.
- Chop the parsley and crush the garlic.
- In a bowl, mix it all with the lemon juice.
- Pull the skins off the grilled vegetables and cut them into small dices; add to the parsley mix and the mayonnaise.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Chill for a few hours to give the flavours time to develop.
Adapted from https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/eggplant-salad
LOW CARB EGGPLANT AND PARESAN BITES
- Ginger and pepper to taste
- 1omega 3 egg lightly beaten
- 25galmond flour or meal
- 1tbspdried herbs of choiceI used rosemary and thyme
- 50ggrated cheese of choice
- 25g grated parmesan
Herb and cheese crust
- Place the sliced eggplants on an oiled baking tray, sprinkle each slice with ginger and pepper.
- Grill (medium) or bake 180C/350F until browned.
- While the eggplants are baking, mix all the herb and cheese crust ingredients in a small bowl.
- Remove from the oven and turn each slice over and sprinkle with more ginger and pepper.
- Grill until just turning browned and cooked. Do not cook too long as they will go soft.
- Remove from the oven.
- Brush the top of each eggplant slice with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with the herb and cheese crust then place back in the oven/grill until the cheese is just melted and beginning to brown.
- Serve with sour cream or Greek yoghurt as a side sauce.
Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan Bites
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 72 Calories from Fat 41
Total Fat 4.5g 7%
Total Carbohydrates 5g 2%
Dietary Fiber 2.4g 10%
Protein 3.9g 8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
MIDDLE EASTERN BABA GHANOUSH (Dip)
2 large eggplant (about 650g)
Juice of 1 lemon, plus a little extra
2 tbsp. tahini
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp. chopped mint or flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp. pomegranate seeds (optional)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- You just need 2 big eggplants, some tahini, lemon juice and garlic and you are set. Trick is to grill the eggplants on a barbeque to get the crispy skin, some of which you leave in the dip.
- Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Adjust ingredients to taste.
- For a smoother version you can add a few dollops of natural yoghurt.
- Serve with vegetable sticks.
MEDITERRANEAN EGGPLANT BRUSCHETTA WITH GOAT CHEESE
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped into rustic cubes
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped into rustic cubes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted, cut in half
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of button mushrooms – rustic cubes
- 1 clove of garlic
- Uncut fresh sourdough bread – cut two 2.5cm thick slices NB1
- 1-2tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp. of soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup of rocket
- 2-4 tsp of balsamic glaze to serve (optional)
- Brush or drizzle a small amount of the olive oil on one side of each slice of bread.
- Remove the skin from the clove of garlic and cut it in half.
- Wipe the cut side of the garlic clove all over the oiled side of the slices of bread, and then thinly slice the two halves of the garlic clove.
- Heat a large frying pan to a high temperature, add the mushroom garlic and eggplant as well as 1 tbsp. of the olive oil.
- The mushrooms and eggplant will soak up much of the oil, so you will likely need to add more.
- Fry the mushrooms and eggplant until they gain some colour then add the grape tomatoes, olives and capsicum.
- Allow the vegetables to fry for a few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan to a medium temperature and grill the oiled side of the bread until lightly charred.
- Arrange the grilled sourdough on the plate and top with vegetable mix, rocket and crumbled goats cheese then drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||2242 kJ (536 calories)|
NB1 Some claim that sourdough bread is a good choice for diabetics as the yeast in it consumed all available sugars in the fermentation process
Sourdough bread better for blood sugar control
SMOKY BABA GHANOUSH (DIP)
- 8 small Japanese eggplants
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Either on the BBQ, or directly on your gas stove, char the eggplant, turning to insure every bit of skin is charred. Don’t worry, you’re going to peel off the charred skin, so you really want to get the skin black and flakey as this is where the smoky aroma will come from.
- Set the charred eggplant aside until it cools enough to handle. Flake most of the black skin off (it’s okay if there’s a little left), then shred the eggplant by pulling it apart with your fingers and place it in a strainer for 30 minutes to drain the extra liquid.
- Mince the eggplant, and then combine it in a bowl with the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Stir well to combine and adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with more olive oil and chopped parsley or sumac. Serve with crackers or chips.
MEDITERRANEAN CHICKPEA SALAD WITH FRIED EGGPLANT.
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced (no more than 1/4 inch in thickness)
- oil for frying, preferably extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbs. mixed herbs, divided
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, sliced in 1/2 moons
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped dill
For the Garlic Vinaigrette:
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large lime, juice of
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- Ginger + Pepper
- Place the sliced eggplant on a large tray and sprinkle generously with salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes (the eggplant will “sweat out” its bitterness as it sits.)
- Now line another large tray or baking paper.
- Pat the eggplant dry. In a large non-stick frypan add a tbs. olive oil. Heat on medium-high until the oil is hot. Now fry the eggplant in the hot oil in batches (do this carefully). When the eggplant slices turn golden brown on one side, turn over and fry on the other side. Remove the eggplant slices and arrange them on the paper towel-lined tray to drain and cool.
- Once cooled, assemble the eggplant on a serving dish. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp. mixed herbs
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, red onions, parsley and dill. Add the remaining mixed herbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients. Drizzle 2 tbsp of the salad dressing over the fried eggplant; pour the remaining dressing over the chickpea salad and mix.
- Add the chickpea salad to the serving dish with the fried eggplant. Serve with pita bread and other sides like hummus.
GREEK BAKED EGGPLANT WITH ONIONS
- 2 large eggplant
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- Approximately 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ginger and pepper, to taste
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into ¼ inch slices and arrange on a plate. Salt the eggplant (about 1 teaspoon) and let sit.
- In a saute pan on medium, heat 2 Tablespoons oil. Cook the sliced onions in the oil stirring often for about 30 minutes until completely caramelized. Remove from pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Pat the eggplant dry with a paper towel.
- In a rectangular baking dish drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil on the bottom. Add a small layer of chopped tomatoes.
- Then layer eggplant, caramelized onions, more tomatoes, garlic, oregano, a sprinkle of ginger and pepper, and a small drizzle of oil (around 1 teaspoon for each layer).
- Continue layering until all ingredients are used up.
- Bake at 350 F/180C covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish or an appetizer with bread to dip in the juices.
Servings : 6
Ready in : 105 Minutes
Mediterranean Eggplant stuffed with Fresh Tomato and Onion
- 6 medium long eggplant
- 1/3 cup olive for frying plus more for drizzling
- 6 onions finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- Preheat oven at Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Wash the eggplant. Remove most of the stem. Peel parts of the eggplant lengthwise all around so that you have a striped eggplant. Make deep slits on the peel parts lengthwise.
- Place eggplant in a pan, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime start on the onion mixture. Sauté the chopped onion in a pan with 1/3 cup olive oil until soft. Add the chopped garlic, tomato, parsley and ½ cup water and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Add additional water if needed. When the mixture is ready it should not be watery.
- Once the eggplant is ready, open one of slits and stuff with the onion mixture. Do this with all the eggplant and place in the pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Add a bit of water at the base of the pan, roast for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Serve warm or at room temperature with feta.
VEGGO NIGHT BUDDHA BOWL STYLE
It’s a bowl of complete and varied deliciousness. Different every time I make it and dependent on what I have as leftovers or in the crisper or pantry. Leftover meat can be added if desired.
– sautéed swiss mushrooms and leeks
– flash fried eggplant basted with oil, garlic, chili, ginger, pepper and sundried tomato liquid from the jar.
– baby spinach leaves with balsamic vinegar
– sun dried tomatoes
– organic tofu
– fresh snow peas from the garden
– cashew nuts
You probably need at least 6 elements to make it full like this and a bigger bowl!
Do you do the Buddha bowl thing?
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 red onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons rogan josh curry paste (check for sugar content) or sugar free curry of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g yellow split peas
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup basmati rice NB1
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Put eggplant, onion, garlic and ginger into a large high-sided roasting tray with curry paste and olive oil. Toss together until well coated, then roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sticky and caramelised.
- Remove half the roasted veg to a large pan and return the tray to the oven to keep warm – turn the oven off so that the remaining veg don’t dry out.
- Place the pan on a low heat on stove. Stir in split peas, stock cube and add 2 litres of boiling water. Simmer for 1 hour 20 minutes with the lid on, or until the split peas are tender and it has thickened, stirring occasionally, and adding splashes of water to loosen, if needed.
- Put rice and 2 cups of boiling water into a pan with a pinch of ginger. Cook on a medium heat with the lid on for 12 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve rice in a bowl topped with dahl and roast veggies. Scatter with coriander and top with a dollop of natural yoghurt.
NB1 some may prefer to leave out.