½ kg low fat home-made meat mince. Any meat can be used, chicken, goat etc.
3/4 cup multi-grain bread crumbs
2 tablespoons mustard
1 cup minced carrots
½ cup minced celery
1 cup chopped spinach
Any other in season green vegetables.
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon pepper
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray an oven proof casserole dish with olive oil spray.
Combine all ingredients; mix thoroughly.
Pat meat loaf into the casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
Serve with a side salad.
These pies were sent to me by a face book friend. I feel that with a few little changes it can be made both healthier, diabetic friendly and Gluten free
If you grow your own vegetables spinach should be in full production this time of year in the southern Hemisphere. Why not try a pie with your favourite pastry? NB1
- 3 – 4 bunches of spinach
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 green (spring onions) finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 300 grams (11 ounces) feta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 2 cups of multigrain flour. Gluten free or nut flour can be used
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- Egg white for pastry wash to give a golden brown colour to your pie.
- Prepare your pastry, I make a multigrain version in the bread maker using the pastry option
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C (350F)
- Trim tough stalks from spinach and rinse leaves well in a sink of cold water. Drain and chop roughly.
- Heat olive oil in large pan and add spinach and green onions, tossing until all the spinach is wilted. Place spinach and onion in a colander, allow to cool and press out as much excess water as you can.
- Roughly mash feta and add lightly beaten egg, dill, nutmeg and black pepper. Then add cooled drained spinach and onion, Mix well.
- Roll your pastry mix and cover with a damp tea towel so it doesn’t dry out while you work.
- Oil oven proof baking dish about 24cm by 28cm (9 ½ by 11 inches) with a little extra olive oil. Lay the pastry and in baking dish allowing to overlap the sides.
- Add spinach and cheese then add a layers of pastry on top.
- Tuck pastry in to the dish and trim any excess pastry. Score top of the pie (but not down to the filling into squares. Was top of pastry with the egg white using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until golden and the filling has set. Cool for ten minutes and cut into squares to serve.
NB1 Pastry may not be suitable for all diabetics; it can be made without the pastry.
1 sheet puff pastry. Use multigrain flat bread; make your own pastry using one of my bread recipes, or gluten free pastry mix
1 package Taco Bell seasoning mix may contain sugar and salt.
1 pound ground beef. Most mince contain fat and preservatives; chicken, pork or veal mince may be better or make your own by finely chopping lean meat, pork or veal or chicken breasts. Left over stew can also be used.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup salsa. I make my own using finely chopped onions, tomato, capsicum, mixed herbs, spices, chilli and garlic to taste.
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded. Sour cream, optional. Use egg white and milk beaten together.
place pastry on the bottom of a greased pie tin.
In a medium skillet, cook beef and onions until beef is browned and cooked through. Drain. Add Salsa and taco seasoning. Cook until bubbly. Pour into crust. Top with the egg white and milk mix.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Top with lettuce, and tomatoes.
Adapted from a recipe originally by:- Ann Camillen.
1 lb ground skinless lean turkey or skinless chicken breast
1 lb ground lean beef
1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small onion, grated
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup no added salt pasta sauce
1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (Cottage or ricotta).
minced parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 C degrees. Lightly oil a loaf pan (I used a regular glass loaf dish as in the photo above) with olive oil cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey and beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Try not over handle the mixture otherwise it will get tough. Place the mixture in the greased loaf pan and form into a loaf. Top the meatloaf with pasta sauce.
- Place filled loaf pan on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese. Place the meatloaf back in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted.
Remove the meatloaf from the oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving/slicing. Garnish with parsley if desired.
*(new cooking time added, mine usually takes 1 hr for 2 lbs meat)
Adapted from: Kingideas
LENTIL, ROAST PUMPKIN AND RICOTTA OPEN PIE
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded, diced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, cut into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon Moroccan seasoning (Check sugar and salt content before use)
- olive oil spray
- 200g punnet grape tomatoes, halved (Fresh is better from the garden)
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, rinsed, drained (Dried soaked overnight rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup (115g) reduced-fat ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 reduced-fat short-crust pastry sheets, just thawed (Optional) (A gluten free pastry can be used.)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200Â°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place pumpkin, capsicum and onion on one of the prepared trays. Sprinkle veg with Moroccan seasoning and spray with olive oil. Roast veg for 25 minutes, or until tender; set aside to slightly cool.
Step 2 Place roast veg, tomato, lentils, ricotta and parsley in a large bowl; stir gently to combine filling and season with cracked black pepper.
Step 3 Cut an 18cm circle from each pastry sheet. Brush pastry rounds with egg white. Place one-quarter of the filling in the center of each round, leaving a 3cm border. Fold up each pastry border to enclose filling, leaving pie tops open.
Step 4 Put pies on the other prepared tray. Bake for 15 minutes, or until pastry is crisp and golden.
Nutritional information (per serve)
Total fat: 18.6g
Saturated fat: 10.6g
Dietary fiber: 8.5g