500 g of chicken legs or thighs skinned (Free range or omega 3)
1 tablespoon olive oil.
3 cloves garlic, chopped…
1 medium onion, diced (chopped into little squares)
1/2 cup tomato sauce no added salt.
1 cup water
2 medium bell peppers ( one green and one red)
3 green finger chillies, cut tip off to release heat while cooking
1 large sweet potatoes, wash, peeled and quartered
1 large carrot, diced
1 Jerusalem artichoke wash, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup green peas
ginger and pepper or fish sauce to taste
1/4 cup oat bran
First, remove skin from the chicken, thoroughly wash the chicken and pat dry; lightly season with ginger and pepper. In a saucepan or a deep pan, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat and sear/fry the chicken pieces. Turn to cook both sides. Set aside.
In the same pan, sauté the garlic, onion until cooked, you know it is when the onion turns transparent or opaque and quite soft. Add the tomato sauce and water bring to a boil and add the fried/seared chicken pieces back in the pan as well as the potatoes, carrots, sweet potato, Jerusalem artichoke and green chillies. Season with ginger and pepper.
Cover the saucepan and bring to boil, lower the heat and let cook for 5 minutes.
Uncover and add the bell peppers and green peas and cook until both chicken and vegetables are tender. Add oat bran last to thicken the sauce, cook for a minute before turning off the heat.
Serve with hot steamed rice.
Photo Credit: http://www.manilaspoon.com/2013/08/chicken-afritada.html
Walnut & Sesame Chicken with Cheeses Substitute Pasta
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
4 x 200g skinless chicken breast fillets
1 egg white, beaten
1 tablespoon reduced fat milk
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 cup (250mL) hot water
1 Cup of pasta of choice.
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup baby spinach leaves
2 or 3 egg whites with equal amount of low fat milk.
- Combine the beaten egg white and milk, beat together until bubbles appear.
- Dip each chicken breast into the egg mixture then coat with nuts and sesame seeds.
- Place on a baking tray and cook at 200°C for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked and the nuts are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cook Pasta according to pack instructions.
- Beat the egg white and milk together until bubbles appear, pour over pasta and cook until done.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower for the last few minutes of cooking,
- Wilt the spinach through the pasta to serve
- Serve pasta alongside the chicken.
Hint: Vary the type of nuts for something different