- 1 1/2 pounds grass fed ground beef NB1
- 1 egg
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 cup multigrain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup no added salt tomato paste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- Any available vegetables
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, black pepper and breadcrumbs. Pour in the milk, 3 tablespoons of the tomato paste, onion, green bell pepper and vegetables
- Place the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and shape into a loaf. Brush the top with the remaining tomato paste.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until done. Allow to stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Calories – 286
Carbohydrates – 9.5g
Total Fat – 17.9g
Protein – 20.9g
Sodium – 805mg
Dietary Fibre – 0.9g
NB1 any grass fed meat can be used, even chicken meat. I prefer to make my own mince as this allows me to control what goes into it e.g. remove any visible fat.
ROLLED BAKED LEAN MEAT
1 Kg. pork tenderloin fat removed (Works with skinned boned chicken, veal or lean game)
3 cloves garlic – crushed
2 tbsp. lemon juice – freshly squeezed
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cups fresh baby spinach – chopped
2 tbsp. sun dried tomatoes – chopped
Ginger and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Mixed herbs to taste (fresh is best finely chopped)
Basil fresh finely chopped
Combine crushed garlic, lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, and pepper. Mix well.
Cut a lengthwise slit down the centre of the tenderloin to within 1/2- inch of bottom (don’t cut all the way through). Open the pork loin so it lies flat. Pound a little with mallet to flatten the edge. On each half – cutting from the centre out – make another lengthwise slit in each direction within 1/2-inch of bottom. Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and flatten to 1/4-in. thickness with a mallet.
Remove the covering and spread 1/2 of the garlic/Dijon mixture on the inside of the pork. Then layer of spinach, and sun dried tomatoes, cover with herbs.
Roll the pork loin, starting with a long side. Tie the loin at 3 cm intervals with kitchen string.
Season the top of the loin lightly with the remaining garlic/Dijon mixture and a little pepper. Place in a shallow baking pan.
Bake uncovered, at 425 F for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160. Cover pan with foil and let stand 10 minutes before removing string and slicing.