6 boiled, peeled omega-3 egg
4 chopped tomato
2 finely chopped onion
4 sliced & slit green chilli
1 inch peeled, sliced ginger
3/4 teaspoon powdered turmeric
3/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
1 handful curry leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
100 ml Greek yoghurt
1 handful chopped coriander leaves
1. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and fry them for few seconds. Once they start to splutter, add the onions and sauté until they turn slightly pinkish in hue.
2. Now add the cinnamon and chopped green chillies. Fry for a minute or two. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the ginger, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and stir-fry for a minute. Cook these spices until the oil starts to separate. Add the tamarind paste and 1 cup of water. Simmer for a minute or two.
4. Add the yoghurt and curry leaves. Stir well and simmer for a minute. Add the eggs and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes over low heat. Stir gently ensuring the eggs stay intact. Garnish with coriander leaves. To make the garnishing more aromatic, fry curry leaves, crush and add it to the egg recipe, this makes it even more delicious and flavoursome. Serve.
If you tried my Christmas joint poached in stout. Do not throw out the liquid left behind. This will make a tasty stock.
Just let it cool and remove any visible fat.
Use a little of this to poach a couple of eggs. I use my Omega 3 eggs.
We are allowed 2 eggs yolks per week and I like to save mine up for these little delights.
Any remaining stock can be frozen or used in stew etc.
EGG CURRY VERSION II
4-5 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
3 small sized onions, roughly chopped
4-5 garlic cloves
2 medium size tomatoes
10-12 seeds of fenugreek/methi dana
1-2tsp red chilli powder
3-4tsp coriander powder
an inch piece ginger
3-4tsp olive oil
2 green chillies
1 black cardamom
2 green cardamom
a small piece stone flower/dagad phool
Spices find recipe here http://www.findtex.com.au/uncategorised/spice-mix-sugar-salt-and-fat-free/
- Hard boil 4eggs. Cool and peel. Pierce them at 3-4places. This helps the eggs to take up all the flavours in the curry.
- Heat 3-4 tsp olive oil and add fenugreek seeds to it. Once it turns slight golden in colour add the onions, 1 green chilli, followed by garlic.
- Add tomatoes and cook them slightly.
- Sauté and add cumin seeds. Mix.
- Cool the mix and add ginger and green chillies to that.
Grind this cooked mix.
- Heat 2tsp of olive oil and add the whole spices, sauté on low heat for a few seconds for the spices to release their aromatic oils.
- Add the ground mix. Mix properly and add turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder
Let the gravy release the oil around the edges and then add about 2 cups of boiling water to make a thick gravy. Add the boiled egg and let the curry simmer for 10-12mins.
- Serve hot.