Makes: 4 servings
2 bulbs garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon whiskey or water
1 pound ground venison, chicken breast or other lean meat
4 small whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted (Make your own)
Thin slices fresh jalapeno chile peppers (optional)
Thin red onion slices
1/2 teaspoon of ginger
Cut off the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of each garlic bulb to expose the cloves. Remove the papery outer skins, leaving the cloves intact. Cut each bulb in half and remove the small green shoot if present.
Place each garlic bulb on a 6-inch square of heavy foil; drizzle bulbs with olive oil. Wrap foil up around bulbs; seal.
For a charcoal grill, grill garlic on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals about 25 minutes or until garlic is soft. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place foil-wrapped garlic bulbs on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
Remove garlic from grill and cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine chili powder, and ginger. Stir in whiskey or water. Add venison; mix well. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
For a charcoal grill, grill patties on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 to 13 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into side of each patty registers 160 degrees F, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
Meanwhile, squeeze garlic cloves from the skins into a small bowl. Mash garlic with a fork. Spread garlic on bun bottoms; add lettuce ├é┬áand grilled patties. If desired, top with chile peppers, tomato and red onion. Add bun tops.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 315 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 96 mg chol., 422 mg sodium, 30 g carb. (3 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 32 g pro.
Fat (d.e): 1; Lean Meat (d.e): 3.5; Starch (d.e): 2
PULLED PORK BURGER
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 400g lean pork shoulder, fat trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 (200g) corn cob (optional)
- ½ large (160g) avocado
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 tbs chopped fresh coriander, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 4 x 50g wholemeal bread rolls, split or Multigrain bread roll or omit
- 150g pre-cut coleslaw mix
- Olive oil
- Lightly spray a 20cm (base measurement) heavy-based saucepan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook onion, capsicum, garlic and sliced chilli, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a plate.
- Lightly spray same pan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Cook pork, turning once, for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Stir in tomatoes, vinegar and onion mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until pork is tender and sauce thickens. Transfer pork to a large plate, Using two forks, coarsely shred meat. Return meat to pan and season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, steam corn until tender. Set aside to cool. Remove kernels and discard cob. Mash avocado and juice in a small bowl. Stir in corn and chopped coriander. Season with pepper.
- Toast bread rolls. Sandwich rolls with avocado mixture, coleslaw mix and pork. Serve with extra chilli and coriander, if desired.
Nutrition Information (per serve) of original
|Fat – Total (g)||10.7|
|– Saturated fat (g)||2.5|
|Carbohydrate – Total (g)||35.7|
Adapted from http://diabetesnsw.com.au/recipe/pulled-pork-burger/