1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup almond (or skim) milk
1/4 cup canned pumpkin (Cooked fresh pumpkin can be used and is better)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
Scoop it, garnish with greens, and enjoy!
- 1/2 cupuncooked pearl barley
- 1 tablespoonbasmati rice
- 4 cupswater
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cupcanned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cupraisins
- 1/4 cupdried apricots, finely chopped (NB1)
- 1/4 cupdried figs, finely chopped (NB1)
- 1 tablespoonrose water
- 3 tablespoonschopped almonds
- 3 tablespoonschopped pistachios
- 3 tablespoonspomegranate seeds
- Place the barley and rice in a medium bowl, and cover with water to 2 inches above barley mixture. Cover and soak overnight. Drain.
- Place barley mixture and 4 cups water, in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 1/4 cups cooking liquid.
- Place 1 1/2 cups barley mixture and 1/4 cup reserved liquid in a food processor; process 2 minutes. Return pureed mixture to saucepan; add remaining barley mixture, remaining 2 cups reserved liquid and the other ingredients stirring to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in rose water, and sprinkle with nuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt
NB1 some diabetics may find the sugar in these fruits effects their sugar levels. If this is you leave it out.
LOW FAT MAKHANA KHEER
Serves – 4
Time – 2 Hours 15 Minutes to prepare
1 litre low fat milk
1/4 cup makhana (puffed lotus seeds)
2 tsp chopped pistachios
2 tsp chopped almonds
1 tsp green cardamom powder (optional)
In a deep vessel, pour in the milk, break the makhanas into smaller pieces, add them to the milk and let it simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours without covering, till the milk boils down and the seeds are soft.
Stir for a few minutes.
Add the pistachios, almonds and cardamom powder, stir well again.
Serve hot or cold as a sweet.